Be Safe During Delmarva Bike Week
Delmarva Bike week is from From September 11-15, 2014. Everyone wants to be safe on the Highways.
The Delaware Office of Highway Safety issued these tips for drivers:
– Though a motorcycle is a small vehicle, its operator still has all the rights of the road as any other motorist.
– Allow the motorcycle full width of a lane at all times.
– Always signal when changing lanes or merging with traffic.
– If you see a motorcycle with a signal on, be careful: motorcycle signals are often non-canceling and could have been forgotten. Always ensure that the motorcycle is turning before proceeding.
– Check all mirrors and blind spots for motorcycles before changing lanes or merging with traffic, especially at intersections.
– Always allow more following distance when behind a motorcycle. This gives them more time to maneuver or stop in an emergency.
– Never drive distracted or impaired.
The Delaware Office of Highway Safety said motorcyclists can increase their safety by following these steps:
– Wear a DOT-compliant helmet and other protective gear.
– Obey all traffic laws and be properly licensed.
– Use hand and turn signals at every lane change or turn.
– Wear brightly colored clothes and reflective tape to increase visibility.
– Ride in the middle of the lane where you will be more visible to drivers.
– Never ride distracted or impaired.